The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has announced a new program to develop new technology to protect troops from DEW (directed energy weapons). Directed energy weapons (DEWs) are a type of weapon that uses electromagnetic energy to disable or destroy targets. DEWs can be used to target both personnel and equipment, and they can be very effective at long ranges.
The new DARPA program called the Directed Energy Protection System (DEPS) program, will seek to develop new materials and technologies that can protect troops from DEWs. The program will focus on developing lightweight, affordable, and scalable solutions that can be easily integrated into existing military equipment.
The DEPS program is a critical step in ensuring that the U.S. military is prepared for the future of warfare. As DEWs become more widespread, it is essential that the military has effective ways to protect its troops from these weapons. The DEPS program is a promising step in developing this critical technology.
Here are some of the key goals of the DEPS program:
- To develop new materials that can absorb or deflect DEWs.
- To develop new methods of hardening existing materials against DEWs.
- To develop new systems that can detect and track DEWs.
- To develop new systems that can warn troops of an impending DEW attack.
The DEPS program is expected to last for five years, and it is funded at $100 million. The program is being led by DARPA’s Tactical Technology Office.
The development of new DEWs is a growing threat to the U.S. military. The DEPS program is a critical step in ensuring that the military has effective ways to protect its troops from these weapons. The program is expected to make significant progress in the next five years, and it is a promising step in developing this critical technology.
In addition to the above, here are some other benefits of the DEPS program:
- The program could lead to the development of new commercial applications for DEW protection technology.
- The program could help to reduce the cost of DEW protection technology.
- The program could help to improve the safety of troops deployed in areas where DEWs are a threat.
The DEPS program is a significant investment in the future of the U.S. military. The program has the potential to make a major contribution to the safety of troops and the effectiveness of the military.